Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tonia This one's for you!



After reading Tonia's post about the sharks I had to post my shark picture!! This is as real as any story can get!! The only reason I have this picture is because my dad sent it to me. My dad and brothers went out tuna fishing about a month and a half ago. His friend Phil went about two weeks later for some dogfishing. While they were out this is there story:

OCEAN SHORES, WA

While the ocean vessel 'Dawn Raider' was commercial fishing for dogfish, this Great White was hooked in the mouth but only resisted slightly for 15 minutes before it came up alongside the boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew members to slip a rope around it's tail !!! The Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 knots. Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on water over th e stern and the crew watched in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the shark finally drowned. She weighed in at 1035 LBS. It is suspected she followed a weak El Nino current into local waters in search of food. Although mid 60 degree water is considered ideal for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in the low 50s.

Mind you that this all happened in Ocean shores. YIKES! That makes me never want to go there again!! Tonia I hope you enjoy the actual real life pictures!!

2 comments:

Tonia Conger said...

Curses {shaking fists in the air.} A good look at this one's bloody mouth is all I need to remind me of the ketchup scenes from Jaws.

dayna said...

holy crap, that pic is scary. Matt is terrified of sharks and has an obcession with them at the same time, which, has now transfered to me! scary!